Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Scary, then funny, then back to scary afternoon!

I picked up Carter from Meme's today, and he cried to leave, as he's done anytime we have to leave anywhere lately. It was so sad and broke my heart. So we go to Target and I promise him a treat, and I realize I have M&Ms in my purse, so I give him a few.

We are strolling down the aisles leisurely, when I look down and notice that he has BLOOD running our of his ear! I FREAKED OUT! It was just so unexpected! I called the pediatrician's office immediately and as I'm on the phone with her explaining what's going on, it suddenly dawns on me that perhaps he SHOVED A RED M&M in his ear!! LOL So I'm laughing, and the receptionist is laughing, and I try to look in his ear to see if it's candy or blood!!

To make a looong crappy evening short, we go to the pediatrician's office to be sure about what's going on, and it is clearly blood as it keeps running out of his ear for HOURS! The pediatrician saw us, she tried to clean it out a bit so she could see what's going on, and she *thought* she saw a foreign object like a sponge or something, but she said there was way too much blood to really tell, and she didn't want to press whatever it is further into the ear.

So we call the ENT on call from the pedi's office, meanwhile I'm thinking that we have an ER trip in our future...but the ENT told the pedi to prescribe some antibiotic drops and some other drops to stop the bleeding, and we can go in first thing tomorrow morning to find out if a) it's a foreign object, b) it's a scratch or something or c) it's something else.

I finally put the drops to stop the bleeding around 7:45 and it had at that point been bleeding for four hours! But luckily the drops worked and he seemed ok and went to bed.

Such a stressful afternoon!! Hopefully it's nothing major, but it was scary! I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

And as a footnote, I tried to ask Carter what happened, and it went something like this:

Mama: Carter, did you put something in your ear?
Carter: No.
Mama: Are you sure?
Carter: No.
Mama: Carter, seriously, listen to Mama. DID YOU PUT SOMETHING IN YOUR EAR?
Carter: Yes.
Mama: Really?? What?? Did you put M&Ms in your ear?
Carter: Yes!
Mama: Really? Did you really put an M&M in your ear??
Carter: No.
Mama: Ok. Did someone else put something in your ear? Did Jake put something in your ear?
Carter: Yes.
Mama: What, baby? What did he put in your ear??
Carter: FISHIES!! :points to fish tank:

ACK!! Haha

No comments: