Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hospital update

Sunday night was awful (probably more for me than for Eliza, but still). I noticed her crying a lot more on Sunday than the day before, and it seemed worse when her antibiotics were going in the IV. We concluded that the IV was going bad, so at like 11:30pm, of course when I was alone (Ryan had gone home to sleep with Carter), we had to redo the IV.

It was awful. She cried so much and they couldn't get a vein and I couldn't pick her up. I went back to our room after they finally got it and just bawled like a baby. Her little bottom is just raw from the diarrhea and the antibiotics aren't helping either. I just felt so helpless, and hate to see her in pain.

Happily, she seemed MUCH happier yesterday. She even was smiling and cooing at me. Her diaper rash is still rotten, but I think I'm getting better about changing it more carefully in a way that doesn't hurt her as much.

To prove it, when I looked into her bassinet after her nap yesterday, I got this:


Unfortunately, when the nurse came in this morning to do her antibiotics, she tried to flush the IV out and as I saw her struggling, I knew what was coming. We had to go in at 6am and change the IV AGAIN. Luckily this time, Ryan was here with me and it didn't seem so horrible. Eliza cried and screamed, but it seemed like it was over faster and at least Mama had some support :) Let's PRAY this one lasts until tomorrow morning.

I talked to the pediatrician after that and we are still on track to get discharged on Wednesday. She should get her last round of antibiotics around 6am, and hopefully we can go home sometime that morning.

Cross your fingers for a good day and a speedy discharge tomorrow!

No comments: