Thursday, November 12, 2009

Scary parenting moment last night

We've been watching Eliza closely for signs of reflux. Since she was born, she's done some questionable things that have made me suspicious that she does have reflux like Carter did. She had a weird habit of gagging at random times, she seems to choke/cough a lot when eating, and she also tends to arch her back and grunt/kick her legs as if in pain.

After talking yesterday, Dr. Huval decided to put Eliza on Maalox because of these symptoms. We headed off to bed last night, and I got up at 1:45am to feed her and gave her a dose. She had seemed very uncomfortable all evening and had slept very poorly up until that feeding (like up every hour).

After I gave her the Maalox at 1:45am, swaddled her again, then fed her, I held her up for about 20-30 minutes, rubbing her back and burping her etc. Then I laid her down in the pack-n-play on the little wedge Ryan had just bought earlier that evening. I turned the lights out around 2:30am.

About 15 minutes later, I just heard the strangest sound, like she was throwing up. I turned on the lights and she had spit up a ton of milk everywhere. It was bright yellow and all over her, the bed, the wedge etc. So I stripped her of the blankets and picked her up and she was still choking. She had thrown her neck back and arched her back and was still gasping for breath. I hit her back and patted her until I felt like she was breathing ok. She still was acting really strange and stiff and was clearly uncomfortable. She was in a classic reflux pose, with her head thrown back and her back arched.

It was so scary to see her like that! Ryan got up and walked around with her and she started to relax. I called Josh (thank goodness for having a doctor in the family to wake at 3am with questions :) and he told me to just watch her as long as she was breathing ok and not running a fever.

I stayed up with her for another hour or so, and then finally put her back down to sleep in her Papasan seat, but I couldn't sleep because I was so shaken up.

I talked to Dr. Huval today, and we're moving on to Zantac. We'll try that for a week or so and if it doesn't seem to help, we'll do Prevacid like we did with Carter. I really hope it works because I never want to see Eliza look like that again. Wish us luck!

No comments: