Friday, May 8, 2009

The luckiest mom in the world

This morning Carter and I got up and dressed as usual, and he was his usual semi-grumpy but still quite cuddly self. As all mornings go, I feel bad because I have to rush him and dress him and we don't have time to stop and really connect. This morning was just one of those mornings where he followed me like a puppy dog and just chatted as I got ready.

We walked outside to the car and he was roaming the garage a bit as I leaned over into the car to put down my coffee cup in the cupholders, when I felt two chubby little arms wrap themselves around one of my legs. I looked down and I just scooped him up and hugged him. I just felt like I had to focus on him for a few seconds before we rushed off to work/Meme's house.

So he wraps me up in his arms and sprawls out around me, and then I feel him patting my back. He then said, "You ok, Mom? You feel all better?" How did I ever get so lucky to get such a sweet and compassionate child? Unfortunately, his sibling has been playing havoc on my stomach, causing severe morning sickness for months now, and Carter is so observant and has obviously noticed and watched and listened as Mama got sick in the mornings.

So I squeezed him even tighter and told him, "I'm all better, buddy. Hugs from you make it all better!" Because they really do.

2 comments:

Kayla Gaspard said...

Well that just about made me cry! I love that kid! We are all so lucky to have him in our lives!

Anonymous said...

Single tear. :')

Rene'