Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Language Explosion

I'm not sure what has triggered it, but in the last couple of weeks, Carter's language skills have really exploded. He's always had a huge vocabulary for his age, but now, he's starting to string together words to make phrases. Before, he could link two words that always went together in his vocabulary (for example: saying "I you" for "I love you"); now, he's learning that he can string together words that he previously used only separately.

A few examples:
  • Right der
  • Maw Maw's House
  • Hi Mama
  • Hi Daddy
  • Get down
  • Hold dat
  • Read dat
  • Puppy book
  • Happy birthday
  • Pick it up
  • Put shoes on
  • Arm hurts
  • Barney on (he wants the CD to play every.single.time we get in the car)
  • TV broke
  • Cow poopin (ha ha)
I know I'm biased, I know I think he's exceptionally smart, but he truly does amaze me every day. He's just so bright and curious that I love watching him learn so many new things each day. I also love how I can get his attention, and he'll just stare me down when I try to teach him how to say something or do something. He's so attentive, and it's so clear that he wants to learn so much.

I just love that kid.

2 comments:

Kayla Gaspard said...

you and me both

Katie said...

I agree. WHen I compare him to other kids his age that I know, his vocab is way beyond. What a smartie! (Wonder where he gets that from?? :-) )